Delicious Swiss Chard Lemony Lentil Soup
I was invited to a wonderful supper where the theme of the night was "Tasty Vegan Potluck". The weather forecast was such that I knew it was going to be a chilly night so I thought I would make a dish that not only was warm and comforting but had flavour with some zing.
I remembered my good friend, Delaney, had invented an unusual soup made with lentils, swiss chard, and lemons. I thought I would give it a whirl. Success! The soup was a big hit at the party and was served with various types of artisan bread and fresh pitas.
The great thing about this dish is that it tastes better the next day, and is even delicious cold.
- Cook time: 1 hour
- Ready in: 1 hour
- Yields: 4-6
- 1 1/2 cups lentils
- 2 1/2 lbs fresh Swiss Chard
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 3 to 4 garlic cloves
- 1 Stalk celery, chopped
- 3/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon flour
- Chopped chives for garnish
- Wash and pick over the lentils.
- Cover them with fresh cold water, and cook, covered, until tender.
- Wash the Swiss Chard leaves and chop them.
- Add these and a cup of water to the lentils.
- Continue cooking until the Swiss chard is done, adding more water if necessary.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet and add the chopped onion.
- Crush the garlic cloves with salt, and add these and the chopped celery to the onion.
- Continue cooking until the vegetables are tender and blended.
- Add to the lentil mixture.
- Mix the lemon juice with the flour and stir it into the soup.
- Cook gently, stirring occasionally, until the soup is rather thick.
- Taste for seasoning.
- Serve warm or chilled with chopped chives in soup bowls, and use crusty French or Italian bread to sop up the juices.
a delicious vegan soup that can be served hot or cold.
Do you have any favourite cold-weather recipes to share? Please feel free to post them in the comments below.